Classic Three Cheese Lasagna Recipe
Learn how to make lasagna with our step-by-step recipe!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipes.
The recipe was added to your Recipes.
Sometimes, nothing is better than a pan of homemade lasagna. After all, who can resist the cheesy, saucy goodness of lasagna?
It's a popular dish for family gatherings and potlucks, but it can be a tricky one to master. This lasagna recipe gives you step-by-step photos of how to layer lasagna. We've even included some bonus tips and tricks for making your best pan yet!
Even though lasagna can be time-consuming to make, it is always worth the effort. Plus, it is a great make ahead meal that can be stored in the freezer for later. Just let it defrost and bake and you'll have a wonderful homemade meal in no time.
Everyone has a personal opinion on what makes the perfect pan of lasagna, but this recipe gets back to basics in the best way. Enjoy it with a salad and some warm garlic bread for a perfectly cozy meal!
Preparation Time25 min
Cooking Time45 min
Cooking Vessel Size9 x 13-inch baking dish
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground bulk Italian sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 pinches of sugar
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 15 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
- 3 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped for garnish
For more delicious lasagna recipes like this one, be sure to check out our collection of 17 Easy Lasagna Recipes
How to Prepare the Noodles, Sauce, and Cheese Mixture
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly brush a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with a small amount of olive oil.
Cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Set aside.
In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef and sausage with the onion and garlic, crumbling the meat as it cooks. Cook until the mixture is well browned about 4-6 minutes. Add in the salt and pepper. Drain the excess fat if needed.
Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and Italian seasoning. Set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl combine the ricotta, 1/2 cup mozzarella, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan and the beaten egg.
How to Layer Lasagna
Spread 1 cup of the tomato/meat mixture into the bottom of the baking dish.
Place 3 lasagna noodles next.
Top the noodles with half of the ricotta mixture and 1 cup of the mozzarella.
Repeat with a second layer.
Top with remaining lasagna noodles, tomato/meat mixture, 1 cup mozzarella and remaining Parmesan.
How to Bake Lasagna
Bake for 35-45 minutes until the top is bubbling.
Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Garnish the top with the chopped fresh basil leaves.
Tips for Making the Best Lasagna
Save prep time by using no-boil lasagna noodles. You won’t have to boil pasta and the noodles will have a deliciously chewy texture.
Don’t cook the pasta completely. Remember that the noodles will finish cooking in the oven. It’s better to keep the noodles on the chewy side instead of mushy.
Cover the pan with foil as it bakes. This will keep your lasagna from drying out. Just be sure to uncover it for the last 15 minutes to brown the cheese on top.
Experiment with additional ingredients. Try including diced mushrooms, different types of cheeses, olives, or any other ingredients that sound good to you! Just make sure to precook vegetables with high water content (spinach, mushrooms, etc.) since the extra moisture can make for a mushy lasagna.
Lasagna makes a great freezer meal! This recipe can be prepared and then frozen for later. Learn more about freezer meals in our complete guide, How to Freeze a Casserole for Later
What's your secret to making the perfect lasagna? Let us know in the comments!
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Recipe of the Day
When are cheesy potato recipes not a good idea? Never. You'll absolutely love this Twice Baked Potatoes Casserole. The creamy potatoes… Continue reading: "Twice Baked Potatoes Casserole"
- Best-Ever Cream Cheese Spaghetti Casserole
- Grandma's Famous Sausage Skillet Lasagna
- Bisquick Pizza Casserole
- Baked Chicken Bacon Alfredo
- Bubbling Pizza Casserole
- Retro Baked Spaghetti Pie
- Kathy's 16 Layer Lasagna
- Perfect Pull-Apart Pizza Casserole
- Jen's Italian Tortellini Bake
- 5-Ingredient Sausage Pizza Casserole
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Easy One Pot Sausage And Bean Casserole
- Home-style Meatloaf Stuffed Poblanos
- Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole
- Taco Cornbread Casserole
- Million Dollar Spaghetti
- Easy Old Fashioned Apple And Blackberry Crumble
- 30 Minute One Pan Broccoli Gnocchi
- Hominy Au Gratin Casserole
- Zucchini Casserole
- Frito Pie
- 11 Recipes for Easter Brunch
- 14 Slow Cooker Casseroles
- 15 Easy Ground Beef Casserole Recipes eCookbook
- 15 Easy Potluck Recipes For A Church Supper
- 19 Scrumptious Casserole Recipes for Breakfast
- 20 Casserole Recipes for Mexican Food Lovers
- 9 Casserole Recipes to Make When Eating on a Budget
- Cooking Vegetable Side Dishes: 9 Easy Casserole Recipes
- Copycat Restaurant Recipes: 17 Casseroles to Make at Home
- Easy Tater Tot Casserole Recipes: 12 Ways