Cowboy Chicken Casserole
The whole family will love this zesty, Southwestern-inspired casserole!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipes.
The recipe was added to your Recipes.
This Cowboy Chicken Casserole is definitely one of the better ones out there. Try this easy chicken casserole recipe if you are feeling that craving for Mexican food and a desire to make a casserole.
The best part about this recipe is the crushed tortilla chips. They add a nice, salty crunch to the whole dish. Add that to the cheesy chicken mixture, and you have a dish that is just like a hearty, yummy plate of nachos. Make this Cowboy Chicken Casserole the next time you are craving a comforting chicken casserole.
The best thing about this cowboy casserole recipe is that it can easily be adapted to suit your tastes. You can feel free to add a different type of beans, more peppers, or any other veggies you like. Our version of Cowboy Chicken Casserole is also made by poaching the chicken in a flavorful liquid, but you could easily substitute leftover chicken or turkey that you already have on hand. No matter how you make it, we guarantee that your friends and family will be impressed by this Cowboy Chicken Casserole.
Preparation Time30 min
Cooking Time20 min
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (32-ounce) carton chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (4-ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 (15-ounce) can of reduced sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips (about half a bag)
- 1 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
For more Tex-Mex goodness, check out our printable recipe for John Wayne Tater Tot Casserole
Place the chicken in a large pot. Cover the chicken breasts with the stock. Add the salt, peppercorns, and one can of green chilies. Bring the stock up to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and let cook for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Remove the chicken from the pot and let cool. Once the chicken has cooled, shred the chicken into large pieces. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large skillet, saute the onion and bell pepper in one tablespoon of oil with a pinch of salt. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
Add the reserved cup of cooking liquid and the remaining can of green chilies to the skillet with the onions and bell pepper. Bring the stock to a simmer. Sir in the cream cheese.
Once the cream cheese has melted, remove the pan from the heat. Gently fold in the chicken, corn, and black beans.
Spray an 8 x 8 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread 1 cup of crushed tortilla chips in the bottom of the dish. Top with half of the chicken mixture. Top with 1/2 cup of cheese and another 1/2 cup of crushed tortilla chips. Top with the remaining chicken mixture, 1 cup of tortilla chips, and 3/4 cup of cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.
How to Poach Chicken
For easy directions on how to poach chicken breasts, be sure to check out our instructional video below!
Why You Should Make This Casserole Tonight
Sometimes you crave takeout, but you don't feel like venturing out to a restaurant. This easy chicken casserole is the perfect solution for those nights! This flavorful casserole is made with chicken, black beans, and corn for a meal that you can feel good about. If you love the zest of Mexican food, then you won't want to miss this delicious casserole. Loaded with green chilies, red bell pepper, and yellow onion, your taste buds will think they traveled south of the border. However, you can enjoy this amazing Mexican casserole in the comfort of your own home. So pop in a movie and enjoy a hearty serving of this easy chicken casserole!
Our readers absolutely loved this recipe so you will, too! They especially liked the crunchy tortilla chips and the cream cheese in this new take on a taco. Even if your family doesn't usually like Mexican food, there is a good chance that they will love this recipe. It combines the crunch and flavor of a taco with the creamy comfort of a homemade casserole. It truly is the best of both worlds!
If you enjoyed this recipe for Cowboy Chicken Casserole, then you must check out our 16 Cowboy Casserole Recipes of the Wild Wild West
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Recipe of the Day
If you're craving some cheesy pasta, then this is the dinner for you. This Cheesy Sour Cream Pasta Casserole is a delicious Alfredo… Continue reading: "Cheesy Sour Cream Pasta Casserole"
- 18 Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipes
- Easiest-Ever Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Ranchero Enchilada Casserole
- 4-Ingredient Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Four Can Mexican Casserole
- Bubble-Up Taco Casserole
- 5-Ingredient Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Easy Cheesy Taco Casserole
- Bubble-Up Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- One-Pot Mexican Ground Beef Casserole
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Hamburger Casserole With Rice
- Pizza Pinwheels
- Sausage Hash Brown Casserole
- Sweet Potato Casserole With Marshmallows
- Reuben Casserole
- Smoked Sausage Pasta Bake
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- BergHOFF Antigua 5-Piece Knife Set
- 11 Recipes for Easter Brunch
- 14 Slow Cooker Casseroles
- 15 Easy Ground Beef Casserole Recipes eCookbook
- 15 Easy Potluck Recipes For A Church Supper
- 19 Scrumptious Casserole Recipes for Breakfast
- 20 Casserole Recipes for Mexican Food Lovers
- 9 Casserole Recipes to Make When Eating on a Budget
- Cooking Vegetable Side Dishes: 9 Easy Casserole Recipes
- Copycat Restaurant Recipes: 17 Casseroles to Make at Home
- Easy Tater Tot Casserole Recipes: 12 Ways