Delicious Shakshuka Recipe
We are adding the recipe to your Recipes.
The recipe was added to your Recipes.
"Enjoy a shakshuka recipe with this super easy, absolutely delicious and really simple recipe. This vegetarian dish is perfect for a lazy weekend healthy breakfast, a fantastic brunch recipe or a quick, simple midweek supper. It’s a simple egg recipe that everyone will adore! If you look for that perfect comfortable healthy breakfast recipe, this shakshuka is the answer. With just a few ingredients you could really impress your family or a brunch with friends. Simply amazing and so easy to make. Quick too! "
NotesIf you choose to use feta cheese, watch the salt seasoning.
The nutritional facts do not include the bread or any toppings such as yogurt, labneh or feta cheese.
I also sometimes separate the egg white from the yolk and add the egg whites first, swirl it a little in with the hot tomato sauce and then add the yolk. It helps speeding up.
Preparation Time10 min
Cooking Time20 min
Cooking MethodSkillet, Slow Cooker
- 6 med eggs or 10 quail eggs
- 500 ml tomato juice (2.1 cups) or passata
- 1 large red onion or 2 medium onions
- 1 large red pepper
- 2 tablespoons ajvar paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh parsley or chilantro /coriander
Heat up the olive oil in a large frying pan or skillet placed over medium heat. Add the onion (finely chopped) the peppers (diced or cut julienne), garlic (crushed and finely chopped), cumin powder and ⅔ of a teaspoon of salt. Cook for 5-6 minutes stirring occasionally. Add a drizzle of water to avoid frying.
When the onions and peppers have become soft, add the tomato juice or passata, bring to a gentle simmer and cook for a further 10 minutes until you have a thick sauce. Taste for seasoning. Add some freshly ground pepper too.
Make six little dips in the sauce. Gently break the eggs and carefully pour each egg into its own dip. Do the same with all eggs.
Simmer gently for 8–10 minutes, until the egg whites are set but the yolks are still runny (you can cover the pan with a lid if you wish to speed up the process).
Remove from fire, sprinkle the freshly chopped herbs ( parsley or cilantro/coriander) allow to rest a little and serve with some nice rustic or pita bread. Add some yoghurt or labneh and/or a sprinkle of feta cheese crumbs. Amazing!
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
- 5-Ingredient Ham and Noodle Casserole
- Hillbilly Hamburger Casserole
- Cowboy Tater Tot Casserole
- 14 Delicious Dorito Casserole Recipes
- Tater Tot Pizza Casserole
- Dump and Bake Southern Chicken Salad Casserole
- Southern Cheesy Grits and Sausage Casserole
- Twenty Minute Tortellini Bake
- Shrimp and Wild Rice Casserole
- Frito Pie
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- How To Make A Crowd-pleasing Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- 2-ingredient Pineapple Angel Food Cake
- Refreshing Pineapple Mango Salsa
- Baked Pork Chops And Apples
- 4-ingredient Tater Tot Casserole
- Chicken And Stuffing Casserole
- Overnight Pumpkin French Toast
- Cabbage Roll Casserole
- Apple Dump Cake
- Instant Pot French Toast Casserole
- 11 Recipes for Easter Brunch
- 14 Slow Cooker Casseroles
- 15 Easy Ground Beef Casserole Recipes eCookbook
- 15 Easy Potluck Recipes For A Church Supper
- 19 Scrumptious Casserole Recipes for Breakfast
- 20 Casserole Recipes for Mexican Food Lovers
- 9 Casserole Recipes to Make When Eating on a Budget
- Cooking Vegetable Side Dishes: 9 Easy Casserole Recipes
- Copycat Restaurant Recipes: 17 Casseroles to Make at Home
- Easy Tater Tot Casserole Recipes: 12 Ways