- see all comments
"Absolutely amazing dish! Everyone loved it and said it's definitely a keeper!"
"I've been making a recipe quite like this one for years. The difference is, I put a chopped onion in my ground beef and after it's done add a packet of taco seasoning mix and a 15oz can of refried beans. The tomatoes (I use Rotel) I mix with a small melted block of Velveeta cheese. I layer the slightly crushed Doritos in a bowl or casserole dish. Layer the ground beef mixture next. More Doritos. Then a layer of shredded lettuce and diced tomato. Then pour the hot melted Velveeta and Rotel tomatoes over the top and serve immediately. It's fabulous!"
"I want to try this! Ohh my, looks so good!"
"where is the recipe"
Comforting and Creamy Chicken Gloria Casserole
We are adding the recipe to your Recipes.
The recipe was added to your Recipes.
Click here to view your Recipes.
If you and your family crave the comfort of traditional chicken casserole recipes, look no further than this Comforting and Creamy Chicken Gloria Casserole. This easy chicken casserole is made with a simple combination of ingredients that combine to create a seriously flavorful dish.
To make this dish, chicken is coated in seasoned flour and then sauteed on the stovetop until golden brown. The chicken is then placed in a casserole dish and topped with a rich and creamy mushroom sauce. The best thing about the sauce (aside from how good it tastes) is that it takes a shortcut by using canned mushroom soup from the store. Before the chicken gets placed in the oven, it is topped with plenty of cheese. Everyone in your family is sure to enjoy this old-fashioned recipe for Comforting and Creamy Chicken Gloria Casserole.
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (3 large, cut in half, or 6 small)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sherry wine
- 1 (18-ounce) can creamy mushroom soup
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 slices Swiss or Muenster cheese
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
This recipe for Comforting and Creamy Chicken Gloria Casserole was inspired by this reader favorite casserole recipe: Chicken Gloria Casserole
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
Measure the flour, salt, and pepper into a large zip top plastic bag. Drop in pieces of chicken and shake to coat the chicken well. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil and sauté the chicken until golden brown, about 5 minutes a side without moving (see note). Remove the chicken to the baking dish.
In the skillet, melt the butter and add the mushrooms. Sauté, stirring once or twice, for 3 to 5 minutes until mushrooms begin to brown. Stir in the sherry and stir, allowing the wine to evaporate by half, about 2 minutes. Add the soup and stir to combine. Taste and add salt and pepper as necessary.
Pour the sauce over the chicken in the baking dish and lay a piece of cheese on top of each piece of chicken. Cover the dish with foil and bake 30 minutes. If you wish, removed the foil and place briefly under the broiler to brown the cheese. Sprinkle with parsley to serve.
To Make Ahead
Prepare the dish up to pouring the sauce over the chicken and laying the cheese on top. Cool to room temperature, then cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate. When ready to cook, bring to room temperature (about 30 minutes) and then bake as directed.
When cooking with fresh mushrooms, do not wash them before using. Simply wipe them gently with a damp paper towel so that they do not absorb extra water. Remove the stems and slice.
While the mushrooms sauté, they will absorb the butter, then expel moisture. Keep cooking until that moisture evaporates and the mushrooms begin to brown.
When sautéing chicken, put the chicken into the hot oiled pan over medium heat and do not move it for the specified time (about 3 minutes) before turning and repeating with the second side. It will stick to the pan at first, but it will pull away from the pan as it browns.
For more of our best chicken casserole recipes, download a free, printable copy of our eCookbook: 12 Top-Rated Chicken Casserole Recipes
Read NextSouthwest Chicken Noodle Casserole
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Jan 11, 2016
I like that make-ahead instructions are included. I try to cook my meals for the week on Sundays whenever I can.
Dec 02, 2015
This is such a great weeknight dinner! I'm impressed by how easy it was to make!
Dec 02, 2015
This was ok. The mushrooms kinda took over the flavor of the dish, though.
Dec 02, 2015
I enjoyed the rich flavors in the delicious sauce. I would make this again.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
One Pan Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
The beauty of this One Pan Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole is that it easily comes together in one pan! Instead of spending time… Continue reading: "One Pan Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole"
- Southwest Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Dollar Store Cheesy Chicken and Stuffing Casserole
- Baked Chicken Brown Rice Vegetable Casserole
- Pesto Prosciutto Chicken Casserole
- Shareable Creamy Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- Magic Chicken Pie
- Grandma Betty's Crunchy Chicken Casserole
- Janet's Farmer's Pie
- Low-Fat Chicken Florentine Casserole
- The King of all Casseroles
My Recipes (0) View »
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite recipes
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Baked Beans With Ground Beef
- Easy Bake Smores Casserole Recipe
- Sloppy Joes Topped With Cornbread
- Easy Rhubarb Delight Bars Recipe
- Brisket With Mac And Cheese
- Blueberry Self-saucing Pudding
- Chicken And Couscous
- Sushi Bake Recipe
- Ranch Potato Salad With Bacon
- Beef And Cheese Enchiladas
- 11 Recipes for Easter Brunch
- 14 Slow Cooker Casseroles
- 15 Easy Ground Beef Casserole Recipes eCookbook
- 15 Easy Potluck Recipes For A Church Supper
- 19 Scrumptious Casserole Recipes for Breakfast
- 20 Casserole Recipes for Mexican Food Lovers
- 9 Casserole Recipes to Make When Eating on a Budget
- Cooking Vegetable Side Dishes: 9 Easy Casserole Recipes
- Copycat Restaurant Recipes: 17 Casseroles to Make at Home
- Easy Tater Tot Casserole Recipes: 12 Ways