Comforting and Creamy Chicken Gloria Casserole
We are adding the recipe to your Recipes.
The recipe was added to your Recipes.
If you and your family crave the comfort of traditional chicken casserole recipes, look no further than this Comforting and Creamy Chicken Gloria Casserole. This easy chicken casserole is made with a simple combination of ingredients that combine to create a seriously flavorful dish.
To make this dish, chicken is coated in seasoned flour and then sauteed on the stovetop until golden brown. The chicken is then placed in a casserole dish and topped with a rich and creamy mushroom sauce. The best thing about the sauce (aside from how good it tastes) is that it takes a shortcut by using canned mushroom soup from the store. Before the chicken gets placed in the oven, it is topped with plenty of cheese. Everyone in your family is sure to enjoy this old-fashioned recipe for Comforting and Creamy Chicken Gloria Casserole.
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (3 large, cut in half, or 6 small)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sherry wine
- 1 (18-ounce) can creamy mushroom soup
- 6 slices Swiss or Muenster cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
This recipe for Comforting and Creamy Chicken Gloria Casserole was inspired by this reader favorite casserole recipe: Chicken Gloria Casserole
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
Measure the flour, salt, and pepper into a large zip top plastic bag. Drop in pieces of chicken and shake to coat the chicken well. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil and sauté the chicken until golden brown, about 5 minutes a side without moving (see note). Remove the chicken to the baking dish.
In the skillet, melt the butter and add the mushrooms. Sauté, stirring once or twice, for 3 to 5 minutes until mushrooms begin to brown. Stir in the sherry and stir, allowing the wine to evaporate by half, about 2 minutes. Add the soup and stir to combine. Taste and add salt and pepper as necessary.
Pour the sauce over the chicken in the baking dish and lay a piece of cheese on top of each piece of chicken. Cover the dish with foil and bake 30 minutes. If you wish, removed the foil and place briefly under the broiler to brown the cheese. Sprinkle with parsley to serve.
To Make Ahead
Prepare the dish up to pouring the sauce over the chicken and laying the cheese on top. Cool to room temperature, then cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate. When ready to cook, bring to room temperature (about 30 minutes) and then bake as directed.
When cooking with fresh mushrooms, do not wash them before using. Simply wipe them gently with a damp paper towel so that they do not absorb extra water. Remove the stems and slice.
While the mushrooms sauté, they will absorb the butter, then expel moisture. Keep cooking until that moisture evaporates and the mushrooms begin to brown.
When sautéing chicken, put the chicken into the hot oiled pan over medium heat and do not move it for the specified time (about 3 minutes) before turning and repeating with the second side. It will stick to the pan at first, but it will pull away from the pan as it browns.
For more of our best chicken casserole recipes, download a free, printable copy of our eCookbook: 12 Top-Rated Chicken Casserole Recipes
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
One-Bowl Chicken Casserole
Dollar Store Cheesy Chicken and Stuffing Casserole
The King of all Casseroles
Grandma's Heirloom Country Chicken Casserole
Grandma Betty's Crunchy Chicken Casserole
Company Chicken Casserole
Chicken Alfredo Baked Ziti
Magic Chicken Pie
Tex-Mex Creamy Chicken Spaghetti
Shareable Creamy Chicken Broccoli Casserole
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Garlicky Black Eyed Beans Pate on Sourdough Toast
- Cabbage Rolls ‘Sarmale’ Stuffed with Ground Beef Veggies and Rice
- Swiss Chard, Salmon, Turmeric and Fresh Lovage Warm Salad with Acini DE Pepe Pasta
- Pressure Cooker Nettle and Black Eyed Beans Soup
- Shredded Roast Chicken with Pesto, Crudités Bits and Orzo Summer Salad
- Mexican Lasagna
- Chilli Con Meatballs a La Ramona’s Cuisine
- All Seasons Orzo, Halloumi and Olive Salad
- Brown and Green Lentils with Portobello Mushrooms, Wasabi Rocket and Watercress Hearty Salad
- Curried Chicken and Green Beans Couscous
- 11 Recipes for Easter Brunch
- 14 Slow Cooker Casseroles
- 15 Easy Ground Beef Casserole Recipes eCookbook
- 15 Easy Potluck Recipes For A Church Supper
- 19 Scrumptious Casserole Recipes for Breakfast
- 20 Casserole Recipes for Mexican Food Lovers
- 9 Casserole Recipes to Make When Eating on a Budget
- Cooking Vegetable Side Dishes: 9 Easy Casserole Recipes
- Copycat Restaurant Recipes: 17 Casseroles to Make at Home
- Easy Tater Tot Casserole Recipes: 12 Ways