Healthy Chicken Casserole Recipe
This healthy casserole recipe is one that the whole family will enjoy!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipes.
The recipe was added to your Recipes.
This delicious and healthy chicken casserole recipe is a great, low calorie chicken and rice casserole recipe. This is a great variation of the classic chicken casserole recipe.
It is a recipe that allows those who love comfort food to still give in to their taste buds without needing to feel guilty afterward. This recipe carries all the flavors and wonderful textures of the original chicken and broccoil casseroles with all the healthy benefits of a low fat and reduced calorie recipe. In this dish, you'll find broccoli, brown rice, chicken, and cream of chicken soup.
This chicken casserole is even easier to make if you cook and shred the chicken ahead of time. If you're looking for a new healthy casserole recipe that will please the whole family, look no further than this easy recipe! This tasty casserole lets you have the best of both worlds - comforting and healthy!
Preparation Time15 min
Cooking Time35 min
Cooking Vessel Size3-quart baking dish
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup cream of chicken soup (Campbell's Healthy Request)
- 4 cups cooked and shredded boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 cups cooked long grain brown rice
- 1 (12-ounce) package frozen broccoli, defrosted
- 6 ounces shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Drizzle of olive oil
This recipe for Healthy Chicken Casserole Recipe was inspired by InfoBarrel's recipe for Lightened-Up Chicken Artichoke Casserole
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 3-quart baking dish.
In a large bowl combine the onion, Herbs de Provence, pepper, garlic and soup.
Add in the cooked chicken, rice and broccoli and mix well.
Spread into the baking dish. Top with shredded Cheddar cheese.
In a small bowl combine the panko with the Parmesan cheese.
Sprinkle over the cheddar and drizzle with a bit of olive oil.
Bake for 30-35 minutes until casserole is heated through and the cheese is melted.
Elements of a Healthy Casserole Recipe
Replace pasta with vegetables – Instead of using pasta, try using spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles. Similarly, rice could also be replaced with riced cauliflower if you’re looking for a lighter substitute.
This recipe for Beefy Zucchini Lasagna replaces traditional lasagna noodles with thinly sliced zucchini.
Make your own cream sauce – While canned soup is great for quick meals, it can contain a lot of salt and other unwanted ingredients. Try making a simple sauce with ingredients such as chicken broth, flour, and milk. If you’re short on time, a reduced sodium canned soup would be a better alternative to regular canned soup.
Learn how to make your own cream sauce with our article: How to Make White Sauce Without Lumps.
Cook with lean meats – If the option is available always choose lean meats. Lean (or extra lean) ground beef, ground turkey, and chicken breasts are all great options.
An great way to cook healthier is to store cooked shredded chicken in the freezer so you can easily add it to your casseroles. Learn four ways to cook chicken in our guide, 4 Ways to Cook Chicken for a Casserole.
Add more vegetables – If your casserole recipe lists an optional vegetable to include, be sure to add it! For example, try adding green peas to a chicken noodle casserole for extra protein.
Use whole grains – Choose brown rice over white and whole wheat pasta over regular pasta. These ingredients will make your recipes more satisfying. Also, if you’re a diabetic, these healthier carbs can also keep blood sugar spikes in check.
Looking for more healthy casseroles? Be sure to check out our collection of 17 Guilt-Free Casserole Recipes
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
One-Bowl Chicken Casserole
Country Style Casserole
Easy One-Pot Chicken Noodle Casserole
4-Ingredient Chicken and Stuffing Casserole
Comfort King Ranch Casserole
Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
Dump-and-Bake Chicken Florentine Pasta Casserole
Chicken Casserole with Tomato and Basil
Chicken and Swiss Casserole
Magic Chicken Pie
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Seasonal Vegetables: How to Choose Vegetables That Are in Season
- 11 Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipes
- Aunt Sonja's Cherry Squares
- Black Cube Nonstick Stainless Steel Casserole Pot
- 25 Church Potluck Recipes
- 12 Best Seafood Casserole Recipes from Around the World
- 9 Reuben Casserole Recipes and Corned Beef and Cabbage Casseroles
- 16 Casserole Recipes for St. Patrick's Day
- Ultimate Meat Lasagna
- Rachael Ray Stoneware Covered Casserole
- 11 Recipes for Easter Brunch
- 14 Slow Cooker Casseroles
- 15 Easy Ground Beef Casserole Recipes eCookbook
- 15 Easy Potluck Recipes For A Church Supper
- 19 Scrumptious Casserole Recipes for Breakfast
- 20 Casserole Recipes for Mexican Food Lovers
- 9 Casserole Recipes to Make When Eating on a Budget
- Cooking Vegetable Side Dishes: 9 Easy Casserole Recipes
- Copycat Restaurant Recipes: 17 Casseroles to Make at Home
- Easy Tater Tot Casserole Recipes: 12 Ways